Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Trip to Phoenix, AZ

I wanted to share with you all our flying experience but I promise to keep this brief...

This past weekend, Tailese and I flew to Phoenix, AZ to photograph a wedding - more specifically Tempe, AZ. Beautiful city, I might add. The voyage from Kansas City didn't start off smoothly. Our direct flight was suppose to leave KC at 6 am, however we received a call at 3 am from U.S. Airways saying that our flight was cancelled because of maintenance problems. We actually can't complain about that issue. Thanks U.S. Airways for calling us first to warn us. We were then instructed to call them and they found another flight for us by way of United Airlines. The catch is (1) we wouldn't leave KC until 7:45 am; (2) we would have to fly into Chicago; (3) endure a hour and 45 min layover; and (4) board a U.S. Airways plane to Phoenix. Our expected arrival time would be 1:30 pm. What else could we do?

In a perfect world, we would arrive on time baggage and all. Not true. In all of my years of flying, I've never arrived at a destination and my luggage wasn't with me. We stood there anxiously at the baggage claim area waiting for our luggage. No luggage. Tailese said she had a feeling that our luggage would be lost. In all of my years flying, I've never walked away without my luggage. We went to the baggage claim counter and filed a report. Ironically, our luggage wasn't lost but rather still in Chicago!! Thank God my camera equipment was a carry-on, otherwise we would have been in BAD shape. U.S. Airways told us that there would be a flight coming in from Chicago at 5 pm and that they would deliver it to our hotel. Let's just say we didn't get our luggage until 11:15 pm. Tailese wasn't a happy camper and I got all flustered because we didn't have any clothes. We all heard the horror stories that your luggage would re-appear two-days later, opened and never re-covered. I could only think of the worse. All I could think of was the nearest department store was 10 minutes away and they were closed. There was no way I would show up to photograph a wedding in jeans. The weather and location were perfect.

I'm not sure how many people have endured this flight experience but this indeed was an experience for us both. All in all, we are thankful for a safe flight going and coming.

Watch our blog and FB page for photos and details of the wedding. ◦
Share/Bookmark

No comments: