Monday, January 9, 2012

SCLC Urban Summit Thrives to Rebuid Black Community

This past Saturday morning, several hundred young and older Kansas City residents flocked to the ACE Collegium Campus to participate in the 5th annual Urban Summit. I was one of many who gathered as early as 7:45 am. Yes, that's really early for me on Saturday. Heck, I can't find myself getting out of bed that early during the week. Call me lazy.

Anyhow, I digress. Like the previous summits, the morning/afternoon workshops focused on topics such as:

  • Restore and Rebuild a Community Through Economic Development
  • Rebuild and Restore a Community Through Education
  • Crime and its Devastating Impact on Pursuing Economic Development East of Troost
  • Biggest Loser to Biggest Winner - Fit for the Journey in 2012
  • Pursuing Housing and Neighborhood Stability on the Eastside of Troost

Youth workshop topics were:

  • High vs. College - "So You Think You Want to Go to a HBCU"
  • The Right Fit - Education as an Investment

While listening to Jim Nunnelly, I learned that were two college bound high school seniors were fortunate enough to acquire $40,000 in scholarships and another who acquired more than $30,000 in scholarships. WOW! And they say nothing good can come from our youth today. I'm thoroughly impressed.

The keynote speaker for the afternoon was SCLC national president, Isaac Newton Farris, Jr., nephew of civil rights leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Above and below are some of my favorite photos from Urban Summit.


Share/Bookmark

No comments: