Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Julian Bond in KC | Guest Speaker at SCLC Community Luncheon


Today was a iconic day for me. Today was the day that I got a chance to meet iconic civil rights leader, Julian Bond. Bond was the guest speaker at the SCLC Community Luncheon at the Sheraton Crown Center hotel. The only thing that I didn't get was a photo of myself with him - I just didn't trust anyone with my camera to take my photo. Is that bad? Needless why this means so much to me is because in the last six months, I met another civil rights leader - Harry Belafonte. Both mean carry so much history, heritage of African-American struggles and fight for equality. It was like reliving my American history class again in high-school but with a added twist. Trust and believe, I will be archiving these images. Bond also celebrated a birthday today and was given a cupcake with a candle in respect of his born day.

Also during the luncheon, Councilwoman Melba Curls received the 'President's Award' and Rev. Jimmie Banks, received the 'Community Service' award. Congratulations to both of you.












Share/Bookmark

No comments: