Sunday, January 19, 2014

Marion Jones Speaks to High School Students at Leadership Conference


Olympic medalist, Marion Jones, stopped in Kansas City this past Friday on a special invitation by SCLC of Greater Kansas City, to speak to local junior and senior high school students from the metro on setting goals and making the right choices. She shared her life experiences, her triumphs and lows. What I felt most inspiring about her message was that she was very humble and apologetic about the mistakes she made several years back. We all read the articles and saw the television news stories but to meet her in person set the tone that you never how a person really deals with a situation until you hear it first-hand from their mouths. News media twists stories to add flavor for the day but some of it wasn't really true at all. She also brought a few of her books in which she autographed for a few people and even my good friend Grant (see below). You can see that he was pretty excited and even got down on one knee to receive the book. I thought he was going to propose to her. LOL!!! Usually I don't ask to get my picture taken with people I photograph but this time, I made an exception (see sixth picture below). This makes the second track star I've had my picture with - Jackie Joyner Kersee was the first. Before Marion spoke, local entrepreneur, Sam West, owner of the Chic-Fil-A restaurant in Kansas City, KS @ Legends shopping complex, spoke early that morning to the students as well. Throughout the morning and afternoon, the students broke out in separate workshops discussing various topics as: "What's your brand" and "The buck stops here".















Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Jay Hawkins said...

That was my girl. I followed her when she was in high school and when she played basketball at North Carolina. Glad to see her moving on from her issues!

Renee Holland Clark said...

wish I would have known...would have loved to meet her.